Personal information is information which identifies you as an individual, which includes -
• Information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of that person.;
• Information relating to the education or the medial, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
• Any identifying number symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
• the biometric information of the person;
• the personal opinions, views of preferences of the person;
• correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
• the views of opinions of another individual about the person; and
• the name of the person of it appears with the name itself would reveal information about the person.
A cookie is generally a tiny data file that resides on your computer, mobile phone, or other device, and allows MTN to recognise you as a user when you return to the MTN online store website using the same computer and web browser.
There are different types of cookies. Here are two examples.
• A “persistent” cookie – this cookie is set once you’ve logged on to a website. The next time you visit the website, the persistent cookie will allow the website to recognise you as an existing user or registered user so you will not need to log in before using the services. However if you wish to access or change any of your payment information (like a credit card number) or your registered information, you must log in securely again with your password, even if your computer contains a persistent cookie.
• A “session” cookie – this cookie is used to identify a particular visit to a website. Session cookies expire after a short time or when you close your web browser.
You can remove or block cookies using the settings in your browser, but in some cases doing so may impact your ability to use the website.
• MTN collects personal information when you view and interact with MTN pages, features, and functionality. This includes mobile applications, software (like adding to your registered user profile, participating in discussion or collaboration groups etc.), platform and third party applications.
• On the registration pages of this website, you will be requested to provide certain personal information. The types of personal information collected through these pages may include your names, company name, title, identity number, passport number, email address, physical address, telephone number, mobile number, fax number, personal opinions, views or preferences and purchases. We may also ask you to provide us with information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics, experience with our products and this website, and more detailed contact preferences.
• MTN targets advertisements to registered users based on general profile categories (e.g., “product managers in Gauteng”) or on personal information inferred from a user’s profile (e.g. , email address, physical address, Identity number, purchasing patterns, or other aspects of your life) in addition to a registered user’s use of the MTN website or their clicking on MTN advertisements.
• MTN uses your information to better understand your needs and to provide you with a better overall service. To facilitate the performance of our services to you, MTN will use your personal information to contact you in relation to the goods and services, which MTN provides to you.
• We will also perform statistical analyses of user behavior, in order to measure interest in and use of the various areas of the MTN website. This statistical analysis will not be linked to any registered person by a third party, without your express consent.
• MTN may send you promotional materials or details by SMS, e-mail or post in order to keep you advised of any promotions, news, competitions or developments which we think may be of interest to you. We will always give you the opportunity to unsubscribe (Click here to opt-out) to the receiving of such direct communications and will obtain your consent prior to sending you such promotional material
• MTN may use your personal information to contact you regarding your account status, changes to the Online Store terms and conditions and other matters relevant to the underlying services and/or the information collected on this website.
• To enable MTN to fulfill your transaction requests, we use your personal information within our business processes and within our MTN Group affiliates. MTN limits access to your personal information to those employees who we reasonably believe need to have access to the information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
• Polls and Surveys may be conducted by MTN. As a user, you may be invited to participate in polls and surveys from the MTN website. If you elect to participate, your personal information may be used. Your selection may be random, or it may be based on consumer behavior, such as products, services and geography. Whether or not you decide to participate in a poll or survey is completely up to you. After you complete a poll, MTN may target marketing to you based on your answers in the poll. We may also follow up with you via communications regarding your participation, unless you have opted out of receiving communication messages.
• MTN will use your personal information as required by law.
• MTN continues to evaluate and implement enhancements in security technology and practices. The help feature on most Internet browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Each individual using the Internet can take steps to help protect their information and further minimise the likelihood that a security incident may occur.
• Your password is more than just a key to your online store account. If your password falls into the wrong hands, someone can easily impersonate you while online, they would be able to sign your name to online service agreements or contracts, engage in transactions, or change your account information. So, choose your password carefully and then keep it safe from others.
A password is like a toothbrush, choose a good one and don't share it.
A password is a secret that only you should know.
Do not write your password down; always treat your password as if it were your banking pin.
Change your password if you suspect something is amiss.
Use care with automatic sign on; do not check the “remember me” option on the application form screen if you use a shared computer.
• If you haven't installed anti-virus software on your computer, do it now. Anti-virus software can detect many but not all forms of malicious software before they have a chance to affect your computer. When you purchase anti-virus software, look for one that includes anti-spyware. Most anti-virus software can automatically download updates for you. Check to make sure your software is downloading updates correctly.
• You can prevent many problems by regularly checking for and installing updates for your programs, including your operating system, Internet browser, messaging software, and other software. Many programs include a feature that automatically checks for updates. Be wary of clicking links in emails claiming to have updates for your software; it is safer to type the address of the web site into your Internet browser’s address bar to visit the web site directly.
• MTN implements security measures to protect personal information when it is transmitted from the MTN website to you and when transmitted from you to the MTN website. Any time MTN asks you for a credit card number for payment or for verification purposes, the transaction will be encrypted.
• You can be assured that MTN is taking all reasonable steps to mitigate the risk of a breach of our existing safeguards.
• MTN will make every effort to provide you with access to your personal information so that you may view, update delete and/or correct your information. If you update any of your information, we may keep a copy of the information that you originally provided to us in our archives for uses documented in this policy.
• You may request deletion of your information at any time by emailing to the following email address email@example.com. Please note that MTN is authorised to retain your personal information as per legal and business requirements for a specified period and upon the expiration of this period, MTN will use its best effort to destroy or de-identify your personal information, should there no longer be a legal or business requirement to retain it. However, information that you have shared with others, or that other users have copied, may also remain visible even if you request its deletion from us.
• To further protect your personal information, we will also take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your personal information.
Third parties are companies which MTN employs to perform functions on behalf of MTN.
• Examples include receiving payments, fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and email, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analysing data, providing market assistance, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), processing credit card payment, and providing customer service. These third parties have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for any other purposes that have not been clearly defined by MTN.
• By browsing and accessing the MTN website, you are providing MTN with consent to give MTN’s third party service providers your personal information, but only for purposes of performing their service to MTN.
• When you interact with third party services available through MTN, MTN is not responsible for any actions or policies of such third parties and users should check all applicable policies of such parties when providing personal information to them.
• MTN does not provide your personal information to any third parties without your consent. MTN will not make your personal information which has been collected through use of this website available to any other person unless you have consented, to enable MTN to fulfill the business requirement of the transaction and/or MTN is required to do so by law. We will therefore not provide your personal information to unauthorised entities or third parties for their independent use without your prior consent. Any personal information collected through third party websites, which are hyperlinked to this website (once you click on a hyperlink or hyperlink phrases or words) does not form part of information collected and processed by MTN.